Professional Development in Editing
Private Editing and Consultation (June 2013-present)
I provide editing services such as proofreading, copyediting, and substantial editing, as well as tutoring services and writing consultation. I have worked with many writers on a variety of writing projects; however, I particularly enjoy editing short story collections, novels, memoirs, and dissertations. Please visit my page on editing services for more information, or feel free to email me at: email@example.com.
Writing Consultant, Portland State University (January 2011-September 2014)
Open to students and the community, the PSU writing center helps with all stages of the writing process–from pre-writing and brainstorming to organization and revision. During my time at the writing center, I have worked with writers across disciplines and genres to help them sharpen and craft their writing skills.
- Support during the pre-writing or the “invention” stage: brainstorming, clustering, outlining, devising a research question, narrowing a focus, critical reading skills and research tips
- Tips on first drafts: focus, organization, active language, transitions, introductions, and conclusions, as well as small, or “local,” areas for improvement, such as word choice, grammar, and syntax
- Suggestions for drafting: logical flow and larger “global” revision recommendations which often require a change in structure, tone, or focus
- Instruction on how to improve Resumes, CVs, and cover letters
- Guidance on writing a college application letter, mission statement, artist statement, and statement of purpose
- Creative writing feedback: fiction, poetry, and essays
- Working with English Language Learners (ELL) on grammar and word choice
- Expert in citation styles: MLA, APA, and Chicago
Twice a year Silk Road publishes finely crafted fiction, essays, poetry and translations that give readers a vivid point of exchange or an interaction that could occur only in a specific time and space. This event could be captured in a poem or short story as well as in reportage or travel writing. With the help of editor Kathlene Postma, we were able to accomplish the following:
- Organized a staff of volunteers and editors
- Helped write marketing copy for the website
- Copyedited fiction, nonfiction and poetry for the journal
- Installed an online submission manager
- Planned distribution and organized subscription drive
- Coordinated promotions and events
Marketing Intern, Literary Arts (Jan 2008-June 2009)
Assisted marketing director and developed new media designs for the Literary Arts website.
- Created a sample literary blog
- Recorded and produced pilot literary podcast
- Edited Writers in the Schools Anthology
- Performed Excel data entry
Editor, Tugboat Press (2006-2007)
Copyedited anthologies and new books released by Tugboat Press, a Oregon-based small press publisher.
Interning Editor, The Raven Chronicles (Jan 2002-Jun 2002)
Edited and proofed accepted submissions, wrote online column, and helped write a grant for The Seattle Foundation for the literary journal The Raven Chronicles.
Tutor, The Evergreen State College (Sept 2001-Jun 2002)
Provided feedback for Evergreen students on a variety of writing projects including class assignments, applications, essays, and presentations.
Professional Development in Education
- Full-Time Writing Faculty, Chemeketa Community College. Aug 2014-present. Fundamentals of Writing. Writing Basics.
- Adjunct Faculty, Chemeketa Community College. Aug 2013-present. Fundamentals of Writing.
- Adjunct Faculty, Pacific University. Aug 2013-Dec 2013. HUM 100: Human Rights & Global Literature.
- Adjunct Faculty, Pacific University. Jan-Apr 2013. ENG 255: Literature Across Cultures.
- Teaching Associate, Pacific University. Aug 2008-Jun 2009. ENG 201 Expository Writing: Work & the Working Class. ENG 220: Literature & Human Concerns: Literature Across Cultures.
- Artist in Residence, Sunnyside Environmental School, February 2008-May 2008, Portland, OR. A contracted position to teach poetry and creative writing to a group of 12 middle school kids.
- Writing Flash Fiction: Indigo Publishing. June, 2011. Portland, OR.
- Writing the Lyrical Essay: Siren Nation, Arts Festival. November 2011. Portland, OR.
- Make a Zine: Richard Hugo House. March 2003. Seattle, WA.
- Spoken Word Poetry: The Evergreen State College. March 2003. Olympia, WA.